10/17/2005

THE CHRISTIAN RECORDER ONLINE ENGLISH EDITION (10/17/05)

Bishop Gregory G. M. Ingram - Chair, Commission on Publications
The Reverend Dr. Johnny Barbour, Jr., Publisher
The Reverend Dr. Calvin H. Sydnor III, Editor


1. A PASTOR’S JOURNEY TO THE FIFTEENTH EPISCOPAL DISTRICT:

Recently, the Rev. Michael D. Washington, pastor of Bethel A.M.E. Church, Huntington, New York took advantage of an opportunity that came his way to visit South Africa. He was greatly impressed with what he saw and learned there and came back with an urge to pay another visit and participate in some mission work with his A.M.E. brothers and sisters on that continent. This is what he wrote about his …

Journey to the Motherland

I cannot begin to tell you what an experience we had on yesterday. We attended the Cape Annual Conference of the AME Church, Service of Ordination. The conference was located about 20 miles outside of Cape Town, Bishop Sam Green presiding. It was a large church that seated about 400 persons with a small balcony and persons standing in the back against the walls. We arrived while they were still finishing their business session. As Bishop Green announced that we were from the United States, the congregation broke out in a song and they rose to their feet and sang with loud voices. At this point was I was done for.

During the service, they sang songs in their native language, Xhosa, and it was powerful. I began to cry; it was like something on the inside telling me that I was home. The spirit of the congregation, young and old, joyfully singing and moving and dancing in the spirit moved me. We cried, we sang, and we laughed. It was amazing when they sang in their native tongue. We joined in with them and it was AWESOME! It is like we were, or should I say, we could feel that we were a part of them. We had taken up an offering before we came, so Rev. Beaman presented the check during offering. I was disappointed because earlier Rev. Beaman told us we could march for offering, but we did not. If you had felt the spirit in that place, you would know I wanted to MARCH!

And, to make you really want to shout, they said to us "WELCOME HOME" and on that note, I was ready to run! The rest of the afternoon, we were all singing and recalling what a blessed day we had. I mean, if more A.M.E.s in the states could witness this they would stop staying, "this is not the A.M.E. way". I say this because they really worship and Praise God. Even during communion service they stood, sang, and danced around as if it was offering time.

After service we went to Cape Town to the African Market and WOW, I was overwhelmed, and yes, I did purchase a tablecloth to add to my collection. And, of course, I have not used my tablecloth from Mexico yet but the next time some folk come to visit me I will have them both out, or at least one of them. I was taken aback at the market. There must have been over a hundred vendors and as you walk by it is as if they all come out from nowhere and try to offer you a deal. I am having a hard time with their money. For instance, 100 rand - do not ask me to translate that to American money because I have no idea. Then in the midst of shopping, one of the vendors said "Welcome Home". I cried again. One woman in the group said to me that it is possible that my ancestors came from this area and that I was feeling their pain. I do not know about that, but I am proud to say that my origins began here in Africa.

We had a wonderful dinner at an African restaurant where we experienced a wonderful African Feast. I did not like everything that was served but I did enjoy the chicken wings and the antelope.

Today we took a boat ride out to see the Island of the Seals and then we went to the Island where Nelson Mandela spent 18 years. When you hear the account and see where he and others were kept, it is only the Grace of God and God’s Love that he came out not being bitter. Our tour guide was a former prisoner, as well, who spent about 11 years as a prisoner during the same time of Nelson Mandela. This same island was once used in earlier years as a place for lepers and the outcasts.

It was amazing to see a large whale had lost his direction and ended up in the harbor. That brought about joy on the boat.

The waterfront in Cape Town reminds you of the Baltimore Inner Harbor where there are shops and lots of life. African Dancers and Singers perform for the crowds as they gather around. I have felt a little racism from some of the white locals; I guess that is what they are. I was in the hotel the other day waiting for an elevator and this older white woman came by. I smiled as in beginning to speak and she ignored that and turned her back. They say that this is the new South Africa. They also say you still have some of the old sentiments among a small group of folks, but hey, I am from the great USA so it is not as if I have not experience those actions before.

Tonight we had dinner at a Jazz restaurant and it was ok; the best item on the menu was the dessert. Our breakfast and dinner are included in the tour package and it really has been a blessing.

The breakfast here in the hotel is buffet and consists of traditional breakfast foods, along with African traditional foods.

I have been sleeping very well and my body has adjusted to the time difference. On tomorrow, we leave for Johannesburg and we will be there until Wednesday afternoon. Some of you may want to get ready for next year. The group leader said she is going to try to put together a trip to West Africa and as the old folks say, "If the Lord says so, I will be on that plane".

After 5 months of my new digital camera sitting on the shelf, I can now take pictures, delete pictures, and I even bought a new disc at the Kodak shop today that will hold more pictures. So, when I get home I am going to teach myself how to download these photos on my computer.

Lastly, but most importantly, I thank God for allowing me to come this way. I mean, who would have thought that shy young man from the Rocks Circuit would one day be in Africa. Plus, I must thank my sister, Denise, who loaned me the additional funds to get here. All I can say is “Praise be to God".

I am not sure if I will be able to e-mail you from Johannesburg but I will try. So, you guessed it - on my list for Christmas is a laptop, and you can freely give to the laptop fund.

Also, I spoke with Bishop Green and Bishop Messiah about coming here for two weeks or so and doing some mission work. They told me to get in touch with them and I am going to do that.

Anyway, I love all of you and I pray all is well back in the states and Bermuda.

Peace and Blessings,
Pastor Michael D. Washington
Bethel A.M.E. Church, Huntington, New York

Note: Rev. Washington plans to write about the remaining days of his visit to South Africa and it will be published in The Christian Recorder Online as it is received.

2. A NEW ERA FOR JOHNSON CHAPEL AME CHURCH, MALAKOFF, TEXAS:

On September 26 through October 1, the North Texas Conference was held at St. Paul AME Church in Dallas, Texas under the leadership of the 10th District Presiding Prelate the Rt. Rev. Gregory G. M. Ingram and Episcopal Supervisor, the Reverend Dr. XX Ingram.

At the close of the Conference, Bishop Ingram read the new appointments of all North Texas Pastors. To the surprise of Johnson Chapel AME Church, Malakoff, Texas, the Bishop assigned the Rev. Cynthia Cole as the pastor. She is the first female pastor in the 108-years history of Johnson Chapel.

The Rev. Cynthia Cole a native of Greensboro, North Carolina where she was a dedicated police officer for 25 years when she answered her call to the ministry. After Rev. Cole’s daughter finished college, her daughter moved to Dallas to work for Dart as Safety Director and Rev. Cole moved to be near her daughter shortly after her daughter moved to Texas.

In 2001, Rev. Cole knew that the Lord was calling her to the ministry and the experience of answering God’s call has taught her a lot. In response to her call, Rev. Cole founded CC Ministries, Inc. That ministry took responsibility for feeding, clothing and found jobs for people in the community.

Reverend Cole is excited about her pastoral appointment and said, “As one of the upcoming new AME ministers, I am excited about Bishop Ingram’s focus on helping to raise money to help people outside of the AME Church.” She went on to say, “Johnson Chapel is my first appointment and this congregation has welcomed me warmly. I see myself working well in the Malakoff community. I look forward to growing and expanding Johnson Chapel. It’s a church on the move.”

On Sunday, October 9th, Rev. Cole gave her first message to the waiting congregation of Johnson Chapel AME. Rev. Cole noted that people are lost, that crime is on the increase, many children do not know where their mothers are, and the world is just doing its own thing. She noted that Jesus Christ is the way-maker for the world and for the lost.

Later that same evening Rev. Cole was, introduced to the community at the gospel musical fundraiser that was held to help three New Orleans evacuee families living in Malakoff that was held at the First Baptist Church. The musical was a success and the community pastors and area congregations welcomed Rev. Cole.

Submitted by Delanda S. Johnson, guest writer

3. REVIVAL TIME IN STAMFORD, CONNECTICUT: “I’M UP ON THE WALL AND I CAN’T COME DOWN!”

Bethel A.M.E. Church in Stamford, Connecticut held its 2005 Annual Fall Revival from October 3 – 7, and what a time, what a time, what a time… The Rev. LeRoy Ladson, Jr. is Pastor. And, what a revival!

Many of the worshipers said the revival reminded them of the revivals from “DOWN HOME!” We gathered at Bethel Church every evening at 6:30 where the Holy Spirit welcomed us. This was TRULY a Revival! Read our report. Seven souls saved. Seven new persons joined the church, and one member returned to the church. Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow!

Our revivalists were the Rev. Dr. Joseph Hooper from Mt. Zion A.M.E. Church in New Brunswick, New Jersey, and the Rev. Melvin Wilson from St. Luke A.M.E. Church in Harlem, New York. This year’s revival theme was taken from the book of Nehemiah, chapter 6:1-3, with the theme being, “I’m Up On the Wall, And I Can’t Come Down!”

Even though the revival started on October 3rd, the family at Bethel began our revival on September 26th, with a week of fasting and prayer. Many of those who fasted during this week met at Bethel Church at 6:30 each morning for “Morning Glory” prayer. This proved to be a challenge, but was fruitful in many ways. We saw God move during this week of consecration and preparation for what God was going to do in our church and in the Stamford community. The week of fasting and prayer culminated with a prayer and praise lock-in starting at 11 p.m. on Friday. It lasted until 5 a.m. Saturday morning. It was a Holy Ghost filled time! As a part of the planning of this year’s revival, Rev. Ladson reached out to the pastors and people in the community, irrespective of their denominational affiliation. People in the community commented that they thought it was wonderful how the various denominations were welcomed and included in the preparation for the revival.

During the week of revival, we began each night with a 45-minute bible study, conducted by five different pastors from the community. Each pastor taught from the book of Nehemiah, and each brought a unique perspective to the lesson. The bible study was followed by fifteen minutes of devotion, which facilitated the presence of the Holy Spirit and helped prepare the parishioners for God’s message.

We were blessed from Monday to Thursday to have an average attendance of 250 each night to hear the word from these preaching men of God! On Friday night, there were at least 500 worshipers gathered to receive the challenging message delivered by both revivalists. Their sermon was subject was, “Ain’t No Stoppin’ Us Now!”

Here are some revival reflections from a few of the capacity crowd that attended each night…

“I was uplifted by the fact that souls were saved and the people returned on Sunday to attend the new members’ class.”

“I could have gone on another week.”

“I was into it and then it was over, I wanted more.”

“I truly enjoyed myself. It was so uplifting. It gave me a better understanding of the books of Ezra and Nehemiah.”

“In my 80 years, I have attended many revivals, but this was the best and most effective revival that I have ever attended. The theme ‘I’m Up On The Wall and I Can’t Come Down,’ and the scriptures were so well presented, that you can’t help but remember something to take with you in your daily walk.”

”This was better than any party or dance, or activity I’ve ever been to.”

“It was very interesting having different teachers teach from the same book, but they each came at it from a different perspective.”

“People were leaving their jobs to come right to revival.”

“I was so impressed that many different denominations were represented at the bible study.

Reflecting back over the week of fasting and prayer and the revival, I must say that there was a sweet, sweet spirit in the place!

We would also like to give special thanks to Pastor LeRoy Ladson, Jr. as the Shepard of the house for the way he led us in this revival. Also thanks to our revivalists, the Rev. Dr. Hooper, and the Rev. Melvin Wilson.

4. AN IMPORTANT RECURRING MESSAGE FROM DR. JEROME HARRIS FOR PREACHERS AFFECTED BY HURRICANE KATRINA. PLEASE NOTE THE CORRECTED EMAIL ADDRESS:

Dr. Jerome V. Harris, Executive Director of the AMEC Department of Annuity Investment and Insurance has arranged with the annuity investment vendors, Symetra Insurance Company and American Express, to process requests for "Hardship" annuity withdrawals on an EXPEDITED basis for those participants affected by Hurricane Katrina.

All participants assigned to the Eighth (Mississippi and Louisiana), Ninth (Alabama) and Eleventh (Florida) Episcopal Districts are eligible for expedited hardship annuity withdrawals. In an effort to provide more immediate financial assistance to persons in these devastated areas, expedited payments can now be made and received in as soon as 24 hours, depending on the mode of distribution, i.e. Direct Bank Transfer, US Mail, etc. The normal withdrawal process usually requires approximately 3 - 4 weeks, so our pastors and their families are cared for and blessed, in this time of difficulty, with the expedited arrangement.

Participants desiring to avail themselves to this process should contact the AMEC Department of Annuity Investment and Insurance directly at (901) 527-2006 or email: amec_des@bellsouth.net

5. AME PREACHER TO DELIVER ALUMNI SERMON FOR VIRGINIA UNION UNIVERSITY:

The Reverend Dr. Monica Spencer, Pastor, Greater Ebenezer AME Church, Richmond, Virginia, is delivering the Alumni Sermon on Wednesday, November 9, 2005, at The Alumni Luncheon at Virginia Union University's Henderson Grill. This is a part of the scheduled activities of The John Malcus Ellison Convocation being held on Nov. 7-10, 2005. Other participants are Dr. Gardner Taylor, Dr. Gayraud Wilmore, Dr. John Kinney, Dr. Alison Johnson and others.

This is a significant honor for Dr. Spencer and African Methodism! Attendance requires registration. If you are not able to be physically present, please support her with your prayers.

Submitted by the Presiding Elder Sidney W. Williams

6. THE WHITE HOUSE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM:

The White House Internship Program offers an excellent opportunity to explore public service. The White House is seeking exceptional candidates to apply for this highly competitive program. In addition to normal office duties, interns attend weekly lectures, tours, and complete an intern service project. Interns may serve a term in the Fall, Spring or Summer. All candidates must be at least 18 years of age, hold United States citizenship, and be enrolled in a college or university.

Explore our White House Intern Website for additional information at http://www.whitehouse.gov/government/wh-intern.html. To apply, read and complete the White House Intern Application. A strong application includes the following:

- sound academic credentials
- history of community involvement and leadership
- solid verbal/written communication skills
- demonstrated interest in public service

Completed application materials must be submitted to Karen Race, Deputy Director and Intern Coordinator in the office of White House Personnel, at intern_application@whitehouse.gov prior to the following deadlines:

- Applications due October 18, 2005 for Spring 2006 term - (January 10 to May 12, 2006)

- Applications due March 7, 2006 for Summer 2006 term - (May 23 to August 25, 2006)

If you have questions or concerns, contact Karen by phone, (202) 456-2310 or by e-mail, intern_application@whitehouse.gov.

Editor’s comment: I just received this today and the suspense for the Spring term is tomorrow. Please note the suspense for getting in applications for the Summer 2006 term. I have known people who have participated in this program and it is an exciting program. I hope that some of our young AMEs will take the time to apply. The application has already been sent to those who are subscribed to The Christian Recorder Online.

7. THE PASTOR’S CORNER - LIFE-GIVING LIVING, READY OR NOT, HERE I COME:

7“Behold, I am coming soon! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy in this book…12Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done…14Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city…20Yes, I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus. (Revelation 22: 7, 12, 14, & 20)

In the passage above, Jesus states three times, “I am coming soon!” His proclamation of His coming answers the question, “Why should I desire the Holy Spirit to use me to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ?” Yet, Jesus’ proclamation of His soon coming raises a question that is answered only by one’s relationship to Jesus Himself – “Am I ready for His coming?” Jesus is saying to us through the Book of the Revelation, “Ready or Not, Here I Come!”

As kids, we have all played “Hide and Seek.” One child was the seeker who counted to twenty while others hid. The object of the game was to make it to the safe base without being detected. At the end of the count, the seeker said, “Ready or not, here I come!” Slow kids, like me, were often caught unready and immediately disqualified from receiving the reward of reaching “safe base.”
So, Jesus is saying to us, “Ready or Not, Here I Come!” How do I know that I am ready for Jesus’ return?

a. Revelation 22: 7 – Am I keeping the word of His book? Do I do the following (Revelation 1:3):

a. Read it – Do I take the time to learn what God is communicating to all creation?

b. Hear it – Do I receive it as truth?

c. Take it to heart – Do I choose to govern my life by what I have received?

b. Revelation 22: 12-14 – Am I eligible for rewards at His return?

Jesus distinguishes between those who are eligible or ineligible to receive rewards. Are you saved? Only those who have accepted Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord of their lives are ready to have theirs works judged by Jesus Christ. In the game of football, only players having certain numbers are eligible to receive the ball. All others are ineligible. So, it is with Christ. Only those whose names are written in the Book of Life may have a right to the tree of life and go through the gates into the city. A simple way to visualize this concept is:

a. Saved = eligible for rewards (Ephesians 2: 8-10)

b. Unsaved = ineligible for rewards, receiving immediate punishment (Revelation 20: 11-15)

c. I Corinthians 3: 8-15 – Will I be pleased with the rewards I've earned? We will be rewarded according to our own labor. Our works will be compared to the “good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do (Ephesians 2: 8-10). What we do after we've received our salvation will determine the rewards we receive in heaven.

A man who built houses for a living was ready to retire from his labors. His boss asked him to build one more house before he retired. The builder reluctantly agreed to build the house, but built the house with a poor foundation, the cheapest material, the shoddiest workmanship, and the laziest coworkers. At the builder’s retirement party, the boss gathered all the employees and handed the builder a set of keys announcing, “These are the keys to your brand new retirement home. It is yours free of charge. The last home you built is now your home forever!” Will I be pleased with the rewards I've earned?

d. Revelation 22: 20 – Can I say as the writer of the Revelation about the soon coming Christ? “Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.” My “Amen” means, I agree, so be it, be it as you have said. By saying, “Come” I am making a statement of readiness to stand before His judgment; relying on His righteousness; depending on His grace; and receiving His mercy. When I sincerely call Him “Lord Jesus”, I am affirming His lordship over my entire life.

Behold, I am coming soon! Ready or not, here I come!

Pastor James M. Moody, Sr. Quinn Chapel AME ChurchWebsite: www.quinnchicago.org