4/01/2005

THE CHRISTIAN RECORDER ONLINE (4/1/05)

Bishop Gregory G. M. Ingram - Chair, Commission on Publications
The Reverend Dr. Johnny Barbour, Jr., Publisher
The Reverend Dr. Calvin H. Sydnor III, Editor


1. AME CHURCH AWARDED $35 MILLION DOLLARS!

The African Methodist Episcopal Church was awarded $35 Million Dollars by the 5th Circuit Court of the United States. The largest Black Methodist body in the United States with churches all over the world was awarded the money for…

(Read the rest of the article in The Christian Recorder)

Editor’s comment: April Fool!!! There will be nothing in The Christian Recorder about this!


2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR. JOHNNY BARBOUR WHO IS 65 YEARS OLD TODAY!

3. THE EDITOR’S CORNER:

- Questions:

(1) Who was the first bishop of the African Methodist Episcopal Church who was born overseas?

(2) Who was the AME Bishop who established the Conference Course of Study?

Rules: Both questions must be answered and I must receive the correct answers to both questions by Midnight Saturday, April 2, 2005.

Prize: Free one-year subscription of any AME periodical

- Exegetical Question: The Gospel of John gives the account of the Wedding in Cana of Galilee where Jesus turned the water into wine. The account clearly gives the day of the week when the wedding was held. On which day of the week was the Wedding in Cana of Galilee held? Why was the wedding held on that particular day of the week? Give a short hermeneutical explanation about the day the week on which the wedding was held and how it relates to Jews today.

Rules: Same as above.

Prize: Any one book, excluding Bibles and commentaries sold in the AME Publishing House Bookstore.

4. CONSIDERING THREE HEALTH-RELATED LEGAL DOCUMENTS: "DNR", A PERSONAL EXPERIENCE

By Jeanette T. Johns, Bethel, Huntington, NY

The extraordinary media coverage given to the Terri Schiavo case has served the purpose of forcing us to focus on the importance of medical documents that all adults should consider creating immediately. No one has described this is as a pleasant experience; it's not one that we look forward to with great anticipation, but this case has educated us daily concerning such matters, and we need to allow ourselves to profit from that. Now, because of the legal complications of the era in which we live, the case of Terri Schiavo begs us to act thoughtfully and quickly. I have a living will AND a health proxy. Everyone should have these two documents to assist those who might have to make decisions for us if we become seriously ill or disabled. Also, there is one more important document that is recommended. It is a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate Order). This should also be carefully considered and put on paper, if desired.

However, this case reminded me of a very personal experience that I wish to share with you because I think it may provide some "food for thought." When I accompanied my husband, the Rev. Clarence B. Johns, Jr., to the Emergency Room of our local hospital on March 25, 2003, he was in great breathing distress. As I recall, the final report said he was breathing 3-4 times per minute when the normal rate is 20-something, or maybe it was 30-something. Anyway, he was in GREAT DANGER. An emergency room doctor asked me if he had a “DNR.” My immediate reaction: "No, please do EVERYTHING you can to save him!" Now, the truth of the matter is that he DID have a DNR, and I knew that. But, of course, the document was at home, housed safely in a special place. Perhaps his Primary Physician had a copy, as well. I'm not sure. But I KNEW my husband had a DNR. However, when I took my one and only husband of 51 years to the hospital and I was questioned about the existence of this particular document, my immediate reaction was to say, "NO!" and that's where the matter rested. I didn't think I was lying. Truthfully, under the set of circumstances that I was facing at that particular moment, I simply didn't think. I just knew that if I had said "Yes", that would have meant one thing. I didn't know exactly what. But I knew that if I said, "NO!" that would mean the way was clear to make all efforts to save him. That was as much thinking as I could handle.

My point is that a DNR, though carefully attended to far in advance, meant absolutely nothing in an emergency situation where doctors had to depend on my answer, as a distraught wife. My only wish was for that well-prepared crew of doctors and medical staff to SAVE my husband's life! I've often thought of that moment and how God took care of the whole thing in the final analysis. My husband died less than 24 hours later because God knew best.

But isn't that a matter for some serious thought as we prepare the legal documents necessary for the age in which we live? I believe that it is!

5. DEVOTIONAL: GOING FORWARD WITH GOD - OPERATING IN HIS PURPOSE:

6Then one of the seraphs flew to me with a live coal in his hand. 7With it he touched my mouth and said, “See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for.” 8Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I. Send me!” Isaiah 6:6-8

“What am I supposed to be doing as a member of the body of Christ?” This is a question that is frequently on the minds of believers. An examination of the prophet Isaiah’s interaction with the Lord can help us to address the question of one’s purpose.
When Isaiah heard the call of God, Isaiah chose simply to operate in God’s purpose, not his own. Isaiah had no indication of what God would ask of him, until he said yes to God. Operating in God’s purpose is allowing the Holy Spirit to have His way in me so His purposes are fulfilled through my life. The Holy Spirit is constantly at work in the life of every believer and throughout the church. The Holy Spirit has been sent to fulfill through us everything Christ said to us (John 14: 25-26).

So, what about God’s call in my life? Isaiah tells us he heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” (v. 8) There is no one in particular to whom the call of God went. Also, this wasn't necessarily the first call from God. The call of God goes constantly out to His entire body. Isaiah simply describes when he finally heard the call of God for himself.

Whether I hear the call; how I hear the call; and how I respond to the call depends on the condition of my heart. Isaiah recognized his own need to have his guilt taken away and his sin atoned for. The seraph touched Isaiah’s lips with coals to cleanse them. Isaiah heard the call of God only after he had been brought into a proper relationship with God.

My sister-in-law laughs at me because of my practice of whistling to call my cat home. She says, “I've never heard of someone whistling to call a cat. That’s something that should only work with dogs. Why does the cat come when you whistle?” she asked. “Cats don't respond to whistling!”

I replied, “Yes. You're right. Cats don't respond when I whistle; only my cat responds. She doesn't respond to my whistling just because she’s a cat. If that was the case there would be lots of cats responding who are not mine. My cat responds because of our relationship.” Jesus said, “My sheep hear my voice (John 10: 1-5).”

To know the call of God on our lives we must be in a proper relationship with God. We must first know the cleansing of salvation through the finished work of Jesus Christ (John 15: 3). Second, we must submit to sanctification through baptism in the Holy Spirit (Acts 1: 5). Last, as we seek God’s face (relationship with God on His terms; His terms are stern but glorious), the Holy Spirit transforms all of our life’s experiences applying them to His purposes (Isaiah 6: 5-7). It is then that we, like Isaiah, find our lives operating in His purpose.

Pastor James Moody

6. CHRIST OUR REDEEMER A.M.E. CHURCH WILL CELEBRATE ITS 15TH CHURCH ANNIVERSARY:

It is with jubilation that we, the members of Christ Our Redeemer, 13820 Old Jamestown Road, Black Jack, Missouri 63033, (telephone: 314.741.4222) announces the celebration of its 15th Church Anniversary. God is truly blessing our church. Through God’s grace, we have been able to reach yet another milestone in service to Him. Although we praise God for His many blessings daily, the weekend of April 22, 2005 has been set aside for a special celebration of high praise. The Reverend Edmund E. Lowe, Sr. is the senior pastor. For more information call or write the church.

Submitted by Sister Ella Coe, Anniversary Chair