12/27/2004

THE CHRISTIAN RECORDER ONLINE (12/28/04)

QUESTION:

What are we going to do with the issues raised by Bishop Philip R. Cousin and the responses by the Reverend Dr. Floyd Alexander and Brother Jesse Burns at the General Board Meeting earlier this month? The issues were identified in The Christian Recorder Online and in the hard-copy Christian Recorder.

1. NOTES FROM THE EDITOR:

I have read several great books and looked at an exciting video over the Christmas holidays that I would like to recommend.

The first book that I read was From Boy Preacher to Serving God & Humanity "A Legacy of 77 Years," an autobiographical work done by the Reverend O'Neal Hayes Brown, Sr. It's a great book with a lot of AME history. It is easy reading, but has a lot inspirational moments and would be an encouragement for ministry. Every preacher should read this book

The Reverend C.E. Jenkins, retired presiding elder in the Tennessee Annual Conference has written several books that are on my reading list. Reverend Brown and Reverend Jenkins have told their stories and others of us need to tell our stories.

The second book that I read was The Christian Recorder, A.M.E. Church, 1854-1902 authored by Gilbert Anthony Williams. His book was so good that I tried to locate him, only to find out that he is deceased.

As the Editor of The Christian Recorder, I felt that this book was a must-read for me. This book is packed with history and it has inspired me to write some future articles on Richard Allen, Henry McNeil Turner and Daniel Payne. They were ahead of their times! I am also encouraged to write future articles in The Christian Recorder about our retired and active bishops. As an aside, immediately after the General Conference, I read the book about Bishop Nichols (I can't remember the title and I haven't unpacked all of my books) - absolutely a great read for African Methodists! We are a great Church!

I am also encouraged to write about "Endowment Day - a day that was held on the third Sunday in September to raise money for educational purposes of the AME Church" (Williams). In 1885, the AME Church raised $11,000 on Endowment Day for support of our AME schools. We had to support our own educational institutions because the AME Church rejected the "industrial education" model espoused by Booker T. Washington and as a result most of the philanthropic organizations did not support the educational institutions of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. We had to "go it alone."

If we had a grass roots Holy Ghost-filled "Endowment Day - 2004," I suspect that we could pay Morris Brown College out of debt and have some money left over. "Without faith, it is impossible..."

Anyway, the third learning was a video tape that I purchased at the General Board / Bishops' Council Meeting that was held in Nashville earlier this month entitled, Africa in the Holy Land. Dr. Paula Whatley Matabane, and Itinerant Elder in the African Methodist Episcopal Church, is the Executive Producer-Writer of "Africa in the Holy Land." Dr. Matabane did a wonderful job. It's a first-class video!

In my opinion, every member of the African Methodist Episcopal Church should view this video. It puts the Bible and the holy land in theological and racial perspective.

The forth blessing that I received over the Christmas holidays was finding my copy of the Encyclopaedia of African 1948 compiled by Bishop R.R. Wright. I have not seen it in a number of years. I thought that I had lent it to the late Reverend Dr. Andrew White and that he had not returned it (Please forgive me, Dr. White for thinking that you had my book). I had it packed away in a safe place - so safe that I couldn't find it.

And, no, none of you can borrow it. It is such a great work and my bet is that a lot of our clergy and laity have not ever seen the great work of Bishop R.R. Wright.

So, I am having a great Christmas vacation! I have enjoyed reading the books and viewing that outstanding video produced by Dr. Paula Matabane.

P.S. - I still have some articles that some of you gave me for publication. I am working on those now.

2. PAYNE THEOLOGICAL SMINARY - "A HEALING IN THE HEARTLAND," SUBMITTED BY STEPHANIE AND ERIC STRADFORD:

Wilberforce, OH, November 8, 2004 -- Leah Gaskin Fitchue is the first woman in a long line of healers at Payne Theological Seminary. Her inauguration, this week, distinguishes The Reverend Dr. Fitchue as the first African American woman to preside at an accredited seminary in America. The timing could not have been better. In the aftermath of a highly competitive presidential election, African Americans here in the heartland must now stand as healers for the nation. The Daniel Payne Legacy must now serve as an incubator for relevant ministry at a time characterized as, "Karos" by today's theologians. Dr. Fitchue stands on a legacy of theological giants in response to a call for promoting inclusively in America. Fitchue admitted, "I believe that God has blessed me to see the big picture. At the same time, He anointed and appointed gifts and talents here that can make things happen. Already, Fitchue has taken steps to enhance connectivity between Payne Theology and communities in need of relevant ministry. A new wireless computer network on campus was a necessary first step in engaging students, faculty and administration in advancing the institution. Effective and appropriate use of the technology by alumni, faculty, and students here will ultimately enhance access between Payne and the endless resources available through the body of believers in Jesus Christ. The Reverend Dr. William S. Wheatley, Pastor, Mt. Vernon African Methodist Episcopal Church, Columbus, OH, preached an "on time" pre-inaugural sermon that may offer prophetic insight to conditions experienced by Blacks in America. He described a contrast between the Greek words of "Chronos" and "Karos." "Chronos," from the word chronology, represents the "tick-tock" of time itself moving forward, minute after minute, day after day… "In contrast, "Karos" is crucial time, time that requires us to "Seize the Moment" for a breakthrough from God. Crucial time is God's time--the right time," he said…

(Read the rest of the article in The Christian Recorder - Subscribe to The Christian Recorder)


Get your very own subscription in to The Christian Recorder mailed directly to your home!
The Christian Recorder is the OFFICIAL organ of the African Methodist Episcopal Church and the news you read there is edited and checked for accuracy.
You can:
Call 1-800-648-8724 and make your payment using your credit card.
Send $26.00 check or money order to:
"The Christian Recorder" for a one-year subscription.
Send it to, The Christian Recorder, 500 8th Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37203

3. THE CALL TO WORSHIP IN THE AFRICAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH IS BASED UPON SCRIPTURE:

We recite the Call to Worship in most African Methodist Episcopal Churches each Sunday, but I wonder how many of our worshippers know that the AME Call to Worship is scriptural. I have appended the scriptural references to the Call of Worship.

Minister: I was glad when they said unto me, let us go into the house of the Lord, our feet shall stand within thy gates O Jerusalem. (Psalm 122:1-2)

People: For a Day on our courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of the Lord than to dwell in the tents of wickedness. (Psalm 84:10)

Minister: Because of the house of the Lord our God I will seek thy good. (Psalm 122: 9)

People: Those that be planted in the house of the Lord, shall flourish in the courts of our God. (Psalm 92:13)

Minister: Blessed are they that dwell in thy house. Lord, I have loved thy habitation, the place where thy honor dwelleth. (Psalm 26:8)

People: For the Lord is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him. (Habakkuk 2:20)

Minister: Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength and my redeemer. (Psalm 19:14)

People: O sing unto the Lord a new song, for he has done marvelous things. Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all the earth, sing praises. (Psalm 98:1b, 4)
(Submitted by the Editor)

4. THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF THE RICHARD ALLEN YOUTH COUNCIL:

The web site of the Richard Allen Youth Council: www.rayac.org

5. A GREAT BIBLICAL WEBSITE:

http://bible.gospelcom.net/