1/02/2006

THE CHRISTIAN RECORDER ONLINE ENGLISH EDITION (1/2/06)

Bishop Gregory G. M. Ingram - Chair, Commission on Publications
The Reverend Dr. Johnny Barbour, Jr., Publisher
The Reverend Dr. Calvin H. Sydnor III, Editor



1. A NEW YEAR’S MESSAGE FROM THE RIGHT REVEREND A. J. RICHARDSON, PRESIDING PRELATE OF THE SECOND EPISCOPAL DISTRICT:

On the eve of the turning of the calendar to a new page identified by a new number, I thought of the wondrous possibilities and the unknown quantities that may unfold.

Of the wondrous possibilities, I pray that your year will be filled with all the joy, love, hope, happiness, prosperity, peace, personal contentment, satisfaction, achievement, and goodwill that can be contained in each succeeding day of the year. I pray that your decisions will be wise, and that the consequences of poor choices will be minor and soon overcome with the apparent and important lessons learned from the experience. I pray that you will end each day with a satisfied look on your face and pride in your heart, knowing you have done your best. I pray that you will have enough energy to complete the tasks placed into your capable hands, that your body can keep up with your mind and that your mind will remain active, alert, and brilliantly creative. I pray that your friends will be many and your real enemies few, with the knowledge of knowing who both are and the sense to know the difference.

Of the unknown quantities, I pray that you will have sufficient grace to stare down any foe, and the capacity of leadership and appropriate follow-ship to handle any burden or walk any path or overcome any obstacle or solve any problem or lift any load, or face any challenge; with the understanding that it's a good thing we cannot know when disaster is in our forecast. Such knowledge would likely paralyze us, and prevent any interaction that would ultimately benefit our families, our community, or the world -- however large or small our world may be. So, I pray that your faith will be sufficient to match your challenges, climb your mountains, or brave the storms that may be in your future.

In short, I pray that your New Year will be blessed: hopeful, happy, helpful, holy, healthy, and full of good humor.

A. J. Richardson
Presiding Prelate, 2nd Episcopal District
AME Church

2. 2006 WISH LIST FROM THE EDITOR (CON’T)

- That pastors will memorize the AME liturgy, i.e., Call to Worship, the full Decalogue, or at least the abridged Decalogue, and most certainly the Summary of the Decalogue, the Communion Service, and the Marriage ceremony.

Editor’s note: I can recite it pretty much from memory when someone else is reading it, but always rely on the hymnal, worship book, bulletin or The Discipline when I am asked to do one of the acts of liturgy. I can remember as a child the Reverend W. Stevenson doing every part of the liturgy from memory.

My 2006 resolution is to memorize the Call to Worship and the Decalogue and not use any aid when I am leading either of those portions of the liturgy. .

- That bishops will allow, and insist upon, closure for pastors and congregation affected by changes in pastoral appointments.

- That pastors will take responsibility for their reassignment and not let the bishop or presiding elder be the “fall-person” when the losing congregation complains about the reappointment. Pastors who are reassigned should explain the itinerancy system in the AME Church. Pastoral closure with the congregation should be positive and upbeat.

3. WISH LIST FOR THE AME CHURCH FROM THE REVEREND DARGENAE’ PATTERSON:

- That pastors of churches focus on the message and not the minutes (time-frame) of the sermon.

- That other ministers be giving an opportunity to share a message with fellow ministers at meetings, etc and the pastor not be afraid to allow the ministers on the staff to preach to the congregation say on Friday evenings or something similar.

- We as servants of the Most High shake the favoritism, and "clicks" realizing there is no one better in the gates of heaven.

- We can work more on the message from God and not the show that may be on display.

- Other ministers be given responsibilities (not running the church) in order to assist the pastor of these mega-churches in being fulltime pastors and utilizing their study time with the Lord.

- As a Connectional family that seasoned pastors be given opportunity to share more of their stories at conferences, workshops, Board of Examiners Institute, and not focus on the individuals' calling and personal happenings in their life.

That the Spirit of the Lord be with pastors which, will allow them to discern what to say and not to say, do and not do.

The Rev. Dargenae' Patterson

4. THE EDITOR’S TRIBUTE TO THE REVEREND ALDUSTUS EARL JORDAN, SR.:

The Reverend Aldustus Earl Jordan was an important person in my life. When I moved to Rahway, New Jersey in November 1957, he was the pastor of Ebenezer AME Church. I went to Second Baptist Church on my first Sunday in Rahway. It seemed to be where all of the young people attended church. I just did not get a good feeling and I knew that was not the spiritual home for me.

The next Sunday, I went to Sunday School at Ebenezer AME Church on Central Avenue and the minute I walked onto the church, I knew that I had found my spiritual home. The Reverend A. Earl Jordan introduced himself to me as soon as I entered the building. After a few minutes with him, it was confirmed in my mind that I had found “church home” before I had even attended the morning worship service. I knew that I was going to join Ebenezer. I could not wait for the sermon to end and for the invitation to be extended. I probably went forward before the congregation started singing and before Reverend Jordan extended the invitation. I joined Ebenezer on that cold November morning in 1957. I had found a church home and I had found a pastor. I remember that Reverend Jordan was young and he had a large family.

He was the young pastor of Ebenezer and I understood that he was in his late 20’s, As I said, when he greeted me as I walked into Ebenezer, I knew that I had found a church home; actually I found more than a church home. I found a family. His family became my family. He saw something in me and he mentored me from the time we met.

He would take me with his wife and children when he went to visit his family (or his wife’s family) in New York. I spent a lot to time with him and he knew that I was “running away from the ministry.” He told me to “take my time” and I would know what God had in mind for me. I worked in my newfound home at Ebenezer AME Church. Reverend Jordan took me to my first annual conference. It was in Jersey City, New Jersey. The Right Reverend George Baber was the presiding bishop. I attended the ordination service on a Saturday in 1958. Reverend Jordan laid the foundation for my ministry.

Reverend Jordan was transferred from Ebenezer and I remember how hurt the congregation was when he was assigned to another charge. I can remember how hurt I was. I cannot remember where he was assigned, I just know that his, and his family’s departure, saddened us all.

I did not get an opportunity to acknowledge my call to the ministry because it seemed now that his reassignment was sudden. The Reverend Jesse F. Owens was assigned to Ebenezer and I accepted my call to ministry, but Reverend Jordan had planted the seed for ministry.

I finished college and seminary and pastored in the Kentucky Annual Conference. I went into the Army as a Chaplain and when I attended the Advanced Chaplains Course, I reconnected with Reverend Jordan and he was so happy to learn of my progress. He was pastoring in Harlem and he had me to preach for him. It was an opportunity that I will never forget. After that, we saw each other at General Conferences, he was excited about my ministry, and I was excited about his ministry. Reverend Jordan was as proud of me as he was of his children.

I retired from the military chaplaincy after 28 years and was elected as the 20th Editor of The Christian Recorder at the 47th Quadrennial General Conference that was held in Indianapolis in 2004. I count the Reverend Aldustus Earl Jordan, Sr. as a mentor, friend, and an inspiration for my ministry and especially as one of the foundation blocks in my position as a General Officer in the African Methodist Episcopal Church. I will always remember the young pastor I had as a teenager who ministered so well to young people. I recall his sermons and especially his admiration for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

The Reverend Aldustus Earl Jordan, Sr, was a true embodiment of Bishop Richard Allen and the Free African Society. Reverend Jordan did the work that was assigned to his hands and he influenced a number of lives and most importantly, my life.

He will be missed and I hope that I can be, and am, the inspiration to others as The Reverend Aldustus Earl Jordan was.

5. WE HAVE COME ALONG WAY, BUT WE HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO:

We have come a long way or so it seemed until Christmas day 2005.

My daughter was blessed with two versions of the doll at the top of her Christmas Wish List, Baby Annabell. She received the Original (white) Baby Annabell from her Godparents and the Ethnic (black) Baby Annabell from Santa, her parents.

There were subtle differences between the two dolls that my daughter did not notice in her excitement. She did not notice that the Original (white version) came in a window box covered with cellophane to protect it from dust and dirt, while the Ethnic (black version) came in an uncovered window box. Maybe our daughter missed the fact that the Original had a cute donut shaped baby bottle decorated with a floating heart and a sheep face top which matched her outfit, while the Ethnic baby had an old-fashioned bottle decorated with the sheep face decal. My daughter did notice the Original came with a diaper. The diaper was missing from the Ethnic version.

I noticed these differences immediately and remembered the sinking feeling I felt as a little girl when I realized the white dolls were always more beautiful than the black dolls. How I longed for a black baby doll with beautiful brown skin and manageable hair. That longing was always met with disappointment when I received an ash-black doll with matted hair. Back then, I thought, “the white doll must be better. She has the 'good hair' adorned with pretty bows and the fancy dress trimmed in lace.” The white dolls were definitely more pleasing to the eye than its black counterpart was. I am thinking now that it may have been the accessories that created the difference in my mind.

Yes, the message is as clear to me today, as it was 30 years ago, the perception created and maintained that one group of people is superior to another group of people. The packaging and accessories send the message, and very plainly, that whites are better than blacks are. What a terrible message to send to an innocent group of youngsters. How many other ways is this trend of thought still being silently, but blatantly communicated to our black youth?

And, to add injury to the insult is that the Ethnic Baby Annabell costs, on the average, $5 more than the Original. In what other venues are we spending more for less, based on ethnicity?

So, on Christmas day 2005, as my daughter tore open the boxes of her two new dolls, I asked myself, “Have we really come a long way?” And, my reply was, “Yes, but we still have a long way to go!”

Editor’s note: Joanna Wells Sydnor Kibwe is Editor Sydnor’s Daughter-in-law and lives in Hampton, Virginia

6. ALUMNI ASSOCIATION OF TURNER THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY PREPARES FOR THEIR ANNUAL DAY AT THE 112TH FOUNDERS DAY CELEBRATION ON FEBRUARY 7, 2008:

The Rev. Kyle C. Gibson

The Alumni Association of Turner Theological Seminary has been hard at work over the past year putting together an alumni day that represents the make up of our talented and gifted alumni. We would like to take this time to invite you to celebrate and witness what the new administration has in store for you. This will be the first Founder’s Day Celebration under the leadership of our new President, Rev Ammie Davis-Miller, who has made a commitment to make the Alumni Association of Turner Seminary the best. On Monday, February 6, 2006 the Executive Board and Standing Committees will meet at 5:30 p.m. and 6:30 President Miller has planned a welcome reception at Paschal’s Restaurant for Alumni and Friends.

Tuesday’s morning, at 8:30 a.m. the Alumni Association will host their annual Breakfast Gala where the Keynote Speaker will be Civil Rights Leader C. T. Vivian. Vivian was a close friend and lieutenant of the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. He is the Founder of Black Actions Strategies and Information Center (BASIC), was a Freedom Rider and a member of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. The cost of this breakfast is $20.00 and it will be held at the Interdenominational Theological Center (I. T. C.) Cafe; all proceeds for the breakfast will go toward the Alumni Association’s Fund Development Campaign, which is used to raise funds for Turner Theological Seminary.

Following the Breakfast, the Alumni Association will hold its Annual Business Session in the Franklin Auditorium on the campus of I. T. C. The members of Turner Alumni will discuss several important issues that guide our illustrious institution to a higher level. At the conclusion of the Alumni meeting, we will break for lunch, and then come together for a Wreath Laying Ceremony at South View Cemetery, the Grave Site of Bishop Henry McNeal Turner.

On returning to campus, the Alumni will sponsor a Workshop titled: Can the Floppy Disk Generation Minister to A C-Rom Generation. Our Moderator, The Reverend Ellis Washington, in response to the topic, responding saying “the question is rather "How Can The Floppy Disk Generation Minister To A CD-Rom Generation?" He also reminds us “that we must minister across generational lines is a given if we are to survive and remain relevant!” The members of the panel are: Melee Connor, Julius McAllister Jr., John White II, Bobby Cox, Estella Shiraz, and Kevin McKeithen.

We will then take a break and return for the Alumni Worship Service. This year our Preacher will be The Reverend Dr. Leslie White of Grant A.M.E. Church in Los Angeles, CA. This year’s Alumni Day will be one of the best we have ever had. Make your plans now to be there, hope to see you as we “Celebrate our History and Culture: Pursuing our Future.”

7. KENTUCKY CONFERENCE LEADERSHIP TRAINING FOR STEWARDS, TRUSTEES AND CLASS LEADERS:

Saturday, January 7, 2006 at 10:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. at St. Paul A.M.E. Church, 215 Douglas Avenue, Versailles, Kentucky. Registration fee is $5.00 per person (lunch)

Please note that two sessions for each leadership group has been scheduled to allow those serving in dual roles to receive the appropriate training.

Training Schedule:

10:00-10:30: Plenary Session
10:30-12:00 Noon: Concurrent Session I
Stewards –

The Rev. Ralph Johnson, Instructor
Trustees – Rev. Dr. Robert A. Strode, Instructor
Class Leaders – Rev. Frederick E. Hale, Instructor

12:00 Noon: Lunch

1:00-2:30: Concurrent Session II

Stewards – Presiding Elder Ralph Johnson, Instructor
Trustees - Rev. Dr. Robert A. Strode, Instructor
Class Leaders – Rev. Frederick E. Hale, Instructor

8. ST. JAMES AFRICAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE SELECTED AS HOST CHURCH FOR 5TH NATIONAL OBSERVANCE OF JUSTICE SUNDAY:

St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church, Memphis, along with the National Alliance of Faith and Justice (NAFJ) of the National Association of Blacks in Criminal Justice, invite you and your congregation to participate in the 5th National Observance of Justice Sunday weekend. Memphis has been selected as the host city for 2006 and St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church has the honor of being the 2006 host church.

The mission of NAFJ is to promote the value of the inclusion of faith in addressing consequences and resolution of crime. For the past five years, our organization has received a Grant of Rights to utilize Dr. King’s quotes and images in conjunction with the goals and principles of Justice Sunday.

NAFJ is focusing on Dr. King’s advocating “the social gospel” through:

- Offenders returning in massive numbers to communities that are unprepared to receive them
- Children whose parent(s) are incarcerated
- Disproportionate incarceration of people of color due to disparaging sentencing
- Youth who are currently enslaved by drugs, gangs, and disruptive behaviors

On Saturday, January 14, 2006, from 9:30 a.m. – 12 noon, local and national Faith and Justice representatives will meet to engage in a positive dialogue and strategic planning session to “Rally the Armies of Faith, Justice and Compassion” in our community. Activities for children and young adults are at St. James from 1:30 – 5 p.m. McGruff, the crime-fighting dog, has been invited. First Book has been invited to provide free books for young children. Opportunities for youth to envision themselves as “drum majors for freedom” will be offered through historic Underground Railroad simulations that are similar to today’s challenges, video excerpts from “The Intolerable Burden” and workshops on the “Pen or Pencil” will be available to provide the youth with a “Road to Somewhere”. On Sunday, January 15, we invite you to worship with us for a “Service to Encourage” worship experience at 10 a.m. at St. James A.M.E. Church, 600 N. Fourth St., Memphis.

We hope you and your YPD Department will share with us during this 2-day event. We look forward to meeting and working with you. For further information on these events and how you can participate, please contact Sister Beverly Goines at 901.603.3047.

Yours in the Struggle,


Rev. Walter Winstead Reid, Jr., Pastor
St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church

Mrs. Beverly T. Goines
Co-Chair Public Relations Commission
St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church
901.603.3047

Justice Sunday Committee:

Rev. Walter Winstead Reid, Jr.
Beverly T. Goines
Gale Millen
Gwen Foxx
Evelyn Thurman
Gale Scott
E. Jean Gill
Essie Thurman
Irma Higgs
Jodie Higgs
Dorothy Rozier

St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church
600 North Fourth Street
Memphis, TN 38107
Phone: 901.525.2017; Fax: 901.525.6233

Visit us @ www.stjamesame-memphis.org
Listen to us at 2 p.m. Sundays on local station, AM 1340 WLOK

9. CLERGY FAMILY BEREAVEMENT NOTICE:

Mrs. Helen B. Isom, ministers widow, 6th Episcopal District, former Parliamentarian of the Connectional WMS passed.

Arrangements
Funeral:
Thursday, January 5, 2006
11:00 AM
Turner Monumental AME Church66 Howard Street, NE Atlanta, GA 30317
404-378-5970 (Phone)

Services are entrusted to:

Willie A Watkins Funeral Home
1003 Ralph David Abernathy Blvd., SW
Atlanta, GA 30310
(404) 758-1731 (Phone)
404) 758-3246 (Fax)

Condolences may be sent to the family of Mrs. Helen B. Isom:

Send condolences to:

Turner Monumental AME Church (Address above)
Willie A. Watkins Funeral Home (Address above)

10. CLERGY FAMILY BEREAVEMENT NOTICE:

Amber Chambliss, the daughter of Mr. Francis Chambliss (member of Union Bethel AME Church, New Orleans, LA) and Mrs. Jean Chambliss, former residents of New Orleans, LA now residing in Baton Rouge, LA.

Amber Chambliss is the niece of Captain Carroll R. Chambliss, US Navy Retired.

Arrangements:

Funeral
Tuesday, January 3, 2006
10:30 AM
St. Jean Vianney Catholic Church
16166 South Harrells Ferry Road
Baton Rouge, LA 70816
225-753-7950 (Phone)
225-753-7965 (Fax)

Condolences may be sent to:
Caption Carroll R. Chambliss, US Navy Retired
200 N. Pickett St. # 708
Alexandria, VA 22304
703-823-2616 (Phone)
Email condolences:cchambliss1@comcast.net

11. CLERGY FAMILY BEREAVEMENT ANNOUNCEMENTS PROVIDED BY:

Bishop Carolyn Tyler Guidry, Chair
Commission on Social Action Clergy Family Information Center

Mrs. Ora L. Easley - Administrator Email: Amespouses1@aol.com
(Nashville, Tennessee Contact) Phone: (615) 837-9736 Fax: (615) 833-3781
(Memphis, Tennessee Contact) (901) 578-4554 (Phone & Fax)

Please remember these families in your prayers.

12. CONDOLENCES TO THE BEREAVED FROM THE CHRISTIAN RECORDER:

The Chair of the Commission on Publications, the Right Reverend Gregory G. M. Ingram; the Publisher, the Reverend Dr. Johnny Barbour and the Editor of the Christian Recorder, the Reverend Dr. Calvin H. Sydnor III offer our condolences and prayers to those who have lost loved ones. We pray that the peace of Christ will be with you during this time of your bereavement.