3/03/2005

THE CHRISTIAN RECORDER ONLINE (3/3/05)

Bishop Gregory G. M. Ingram - Chair, Commission on Publications
The Reverend Dr. Johnny Barbour, Jr., Publisher
The Reverend Dr. Calvin H. Sydnor III, Editor

EDITOR’S CORNER:

I review my ministry on a regular basis and this morning I looked at my list of priorities of, “If I were Starting My Ministry Over Again” list, and re-prioritized it.

If were starting my ministry over again today, these would be my priorities:

Priority One: I would commit to pray, that is to talk with God each day before talking with anyone else. I would awaken with the prayer, “In the Name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.”

Priority Two: I would commit to read the Word of God, with comprehension and focus, every day before reading anything else. I would fix it in my mind that “feeding” on the Word of God is as important as eating natural food because the Word of God is food for my soul. . I would develop a daily disciplined time for devotion and spiritual formation. The Word of God before the newspaper or the television news programs.

Priority Three: I would spend more time each week with my family, especially my wife and children.

Priority Four: I would take a Sabbatical rest every week. I would take time out for “me.” I would also give myself several days of “retreat,” several times a year where I would spend time with “me.”

Priority Five: I would periodically attend worship services, alone or with my family, where I could sit in the congregation, without recognition, and be “fed,” even if I had to visit a church where no one knew me.

Priority Six: I would insist that my wife spend several days of retreat away from the family several times a year where she could spend time with” herself,” and I would take care of the kids. She could spend time alone or with friends. My wife needs a “break” from the stress of ministry and from the stress of the home.

Priority Seven: I would take a family vacation, without preaching, several times a year. The family needs a rest from the stress of ministry.

Priority Eight: I would develop the discipline of daily journaling. In a sense, journaling is connected with the prayer priority. Journaling helps one to develop the discipline of putting your thoughts down in writing.

Priority Nine: I would start out in ministry by setting up a physical training program. I would do some physical exercise, at least, several times a week, i.e., jog, walk, join the YMCA or some other athletic facility.

Priority Ten: I would schedule annual physicals and dental care. I would be more intentional in finding a medical doctor, dentist, podiatrist, and someone in the area of mental health. I now know that I, and my family, need regular medical care.

Priority Eleven: I would understand the church meetings, i.e., and especially, General Conferences and Annual Conferences are not vacations!

Priority Twelve: I would fast at least one meal a week and periodically for more lengthy times.

Priority Thirteen: I would be intentional in reading books, in addition to reading the Bible. I would commit myself to read at least a chapter from some worthy book each day, beyond the required or usual reading for sermon preparation. I now understand that if I am going to preach relevant sermons and to be a relevant pastor I need to be well-read.

Priority Fourteen: I would find a hobby and devote time to it.

Priority Fifteen: I would develop healthy eating habits.

Priority Sixteen: I would remember that education is an ongoing activity. I would be more intentional in taking advantage of learning opportunities, workshops, retreat and conferences.

Priority Seventeen: I would remember that lay members also love the church. I would not be so quick to “eliminate” or shun those who do not agree with me. My philosophy would be, “Thank God for the ones who agree with me because they would be and encouragement to me, but I would also thank God for those who disagree with me because they are the ones who keep me “sharp” and keep me in prayer.

Priority Eighteen: I would trust more, be more open, and develop friendships with laypersons. I now know that it’s alright for them to get to know me as a person and I now know that when they get to know “me,” their loyalty will not dissipate. Familiarity does not always breed contempt.

Priority Nineteen: My daily mantra would be to “Pray, read the Bible, love the flock” - on good days and bad days; – every day! I understand that the shepherd’s job is to lead and feed the flock – lead every single one of them and feed all of them!

Priority Twenty: I would remember and the poem, “Only a Minute!

”We only have a minute,
Sixty seconds in it,
It's forced upon us,
We can't refuse it,
We didn't seek it, and we didn't choose it
But it is up to us to use it
Give account if we abuse it.
Suffer if we lose it.
It is a tiny little minute, but eternity is in it!

I would attempt to make the best of each day, living it as, “This is the Day that God has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.”

THE FLAG

Aboard the USS SHREVEPORT (LPD-12)
2002
North Arabian Sea

Today, the entire crew had the opportunity to have their picture taken with the flag. The Captain even made an announcement to the crew on the 1MC (ship’s intercom), encouraging us to do so. Many Sailors had already taken his advice and had posed for individual and group photos so I thought it best to have a personal one as well. I needed to change, though, from my work coveralls into my Service Dress Blue uniform. It would not only make for a good picture but was the appropriate decorum for a pose with the Stars and Stripes.

The flag was on display in Damage Control Central or DC Central, as Sailors know it. DC Central was the place where the ship’s firefighters were based. I got dressed—ribbons, shiny brass, shoes, and all—and made my way three decks down from my Stateroom to DC Central. When I reached the hatch (door) at the front of the office, I noticed two hooks were embedded in a steel beam that ran the length of the overhead (ceiling), which suspended the flag. The stripes ran vertically and the field of stars was positioned at the upper left side. There was a Petty Officer seated at a desk nearby who was designated as “Flag Watch” for this afternoon. The Captain created this Watch to provide ‘round the clock security for the flag.

“Are you here for a picture, Sir?” the Petty Officer asked. “Yes, I am.”“Well, Sir, the digital camera is being used at a pinning ceremony in the Wardroom right now. It should be back soon. Why don’t you have a seat in the meantime?”“OK.”

I took a seat on the bench and rested my cover by my side. I found myself starring at the flag looking it over closely to see if I could detect something distinctive. It was an American flag, no doubt about that, and it seemed to be four feet in width and nine feet in length. The longer I stared I began to get a “response” but too faint to satisfy my search for meaning. So, I arose and approached it believing that perhaps handling it would allow me to connect with its symbolic essence.

To the touch, I could detect that it was made of nylon except for the off-white canvas border at the top and the stars, each one sharply embroidered and equidistant, neatly arranged in the background of blue. Early in life, I learned that the flag represented my identity as an American, though not the sole representation but nonetheless an inescapable one.

I began to ponder the most outstanding memories that I have had with the flag over the course of my life. I believe that my initial encounter with the flag was in the first grade when I learned to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. When I was ten, I purchased my very first flag, which was an old 48-star one at a garage sale (It’s probably worth something today). By the sixth grade, I had met the “pain” of the flag; history classes taught that African-Americans hadn’t received their freedom along with the Declaration of Independence. It was granted almost ….

(Read the complete article in The Christian Recorder)

THIRTEENTH EPISCOPAL DISTRICT RETREAT:

The Thirteenth Episcopal District WMS / Clergy/Clergy Spouses will be held April 22—23, 2005 at the Sheraton Music City Hotel, 777 McGavock Pike, Nashville, Tennessee. Retreat Registration: $40.00 due by April 1, 2005.